Train and Retain - Think Apprenticeship!
Registered Apprenticeship is a highly flexible training and workforce development model that combines on-the-job learning,related instruction and paid work experience. Apprenticeship allows employers to establish the standards of proficiency, while developing a local and loyal workforce.
Apprenticeship growth in Alaska continues to increase; there are more than 60 registered apprenticeship programs with 2,257 apprentices and 268 program sponsors. Real opportunities for new apprenticeship programs exist in the areas of health care, tourism, oil and gas, mining, forestry, transportation, and construction. With few exceptions, any business that requires highly skilled employees - a small two-person business to the largest corporations - can benefit from apprenticeship.
What are the Benefits of Sponsoring an Apprenticeship Program?
- Decreased turnover by strengthening and developing a workforce. In FY 2006, 82 percent of registered apprentices were still employed after nine months.
- Increased productivity and knowledge transfer due to well developed on-the-job learning.
- High return on investment, apprentices produce while they are learning.
- Improved safety as related instruction and on-the- job training ensures apprentices learn while using industry recognized materials and standards.
- Tailored workforce trained to meet the needs and demands of your business.
- Skilled workers trained to industry/employer specifications to produce quality results.
- Established Pipeline of new apprentices that complete the program while also providing access to the next generation of workers.
What are my responsibilities as an employer?
- Provide a safe workplace.
- Provide on-the- job training and supervised work experience.
- Establish a progressive pay schedule.
- Document the training progress.
- Support the related instruction.
How do I take advantage of Registered Apprenticeship?
Contact an Apprenticeship Specialist (PDF) to discuss opportunities in high growth industries or inquire about sponsoring an apprenticeship program. Or schedule an appointment on-line with an Apprenticeship Specialist today!